New York, Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale (RILM)
Overview: Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale (RILM) documents and disseminates music research worldwide. RILM is committed to representing the world’s knowledge about all musical traditions and to making this knowledge accessible to research and performance communities via digital collections and advanced research and discovery tools. RILM’s collections aim to include the music scholarship of all countries, in all languages, and across all disciplinary and cultural boundaries, thereby fostering research in the arts, humanities, sciences, and social sciences.
RILM is an innovative, entrepreneurial-spirited organization that is well-funded and poised to expand its leadership in support of the world of comprehensive and inclusive music research.
Background: This is a newly created position reporting directly to the Executive Director. There is an expectation that, as mutually understood benchmarks and measures are met, the Deputy will assume increasing responsibility, ultimately becoming qualified for promotion to Executive Director. RILM expects this transitional period to extend for one to two years.
Responsibilities: The Deputy Executive Director will assist in the following areas. Depending on the experience the successful candidate brings to the job, related areas of responsibility will be handed over in the first weeks; the rest will develop over time.
- Setting strategic and operational direction and priorities for the organization
- Staffing and retention
- Developing and maintaining strong professional network
- Keeping abreast of trends in music research, digital humanities, and scholarly communications, and the evolving needs of the research and performance communities
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, and generous benefits.
Hours and location: Full-time (minimum 35 hours/week) position. The RILM Office is at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. Remote work is possible. The RILM Deputy Executive Director must reside in and be eligible to work in the USA, and preferably in the New York City region.
- Preparing and presenting/publishing reports for music research communities worldwide, including professional societies and RILM’s boards.
- Overseeing finances and legal and contractual matters.
- Supervising approximately six direct reports (senior staff and Office Manager).
- Maintaining strong relationships with RILM’s distributors and the CUNY Graduate Center administration.
Ph.D. in musicology, ethnomusicology, or a closely related music research field, with a record of publication and conference presentations. Significant experience supervising staff and managing projects/publications and budgets. Outstanding communication skills, written and verbal. The successful candidate will have substantial experience in RILM’s domain area (music research, libraries, academic/professional publishing, digital humanities) and have a proven track record of success within this domain. A commitment to the importance of all music and music-related traditions is essential.
Application deadline: 30 September 2021 (or until filled)
The Deputy Executive Director opportunity can be found at
For more information about the opportunity, please email jorchard(at)rilm(dot)org.