From 24 to 28 July 2023, the Institute of Musicology at Munich University, the Bavarian State Library, and the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities will host the next Medieval and Renaissance Music Conference.
We invite proposals relating to the entire field of medieval and Renaissance music in all its breadth and from all scholarly aspects. Further to this, the committee especially encourages proposals relating to the following topics:
- Music sources of the Bavarian State Library
- Materiality and Digitisation
- Central European Music
- 1523 | 2023: The Bavarian Court Chapel: Ludwig Senfl and Orlando di Lasso
- Hispanic Music Culture and Bavaria
The conference languages are English, French, Italian, Spanish and German.
MedRen 2023 offers opportunities for on-site participation in Munich and for remote, virtual participation. The entire conference is intended to be streamed online. Digital delegates may either submit a pre-recorded presentation or deliver their presentation via Zoom; both will be followed by questions and discussion. Delegates may propose one individual presentation or poster and may additionally be part of one themed session, roundtable, or lecture-recital.
Possible formats of presentation include the following:
- Posters (including a dedicated 90 minutes posters session on Wednesday afternoon)
- Individual papers of 20 minutes (followed by up to 10 minutes of discussion and questions)
- Paired papers (60 minutes total including discussion and questions)
- Themed sessions (120 minutes for four papers and 90 minutes for three papers, including discussion and questions)
- Roundtables (maximum 90 minutes, please describe its form and content)
- Workshops / lecture-recitals (predominantly an option for on-site and partially pre-recorded sessions)
We especially invite delegates to propose poster contributions (DIN A0, upright/max. DIN A1 landscape). All projects will be presented within a dedicated posters session; the best three posters will be awarded a prize.
You will find further information on preparing a poster and its short presentation on the webpage: https://medren2023.com
Proposals should be submitted through our registration tool: https://www.conftool.pro/medren2023/
Please note that you have to create an account to submit your contribution.
As part of the submission process, you will be asked to give:
- indication of format
- proposer’s name
- proposer’s affiliation (if any)
- names and affiliations of any additional participants
- contact email
- AV (audio-visual) requirements
- a short bio or bios of the participants (max. 15 lines)
- further remarks (if any)
- for individual contributions: c. 250 words
- for sessions with multiple participants: c. 200 words on the proposal as a whole, and c. 100 words on the contribution of each participant
EARLY BIRD DEADLINE: 15 December 2022
Contributions submitted by 15 December 2022 will receive a 10% discount off the registration fee.
Final Deadline: 31 January 2023
Notification of acceptance: March 2023
Prof. Dr. Irene Holzer (Munich)
Dr. Stefan Gasch (Vienna)
Dr. Veronika Giglberger (Munich)
Dr. Moritz Kelber (Bern)
Bernhard Lutz (Munich)
Dr. des. Katharina Preller (Munich)
Dr. Bernhold Schmid (Munich)
Elisabeth Seidel (Munich)
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook