Music and Sound in Francophone Audiovisual Media
14th Annual Meeting of the Study Group MaM (Music and Media)
The Music and Media (MaM) Study Group of the International Musicological Society (IMS) invites proposals for its 14th annual international conference. The meeting will be hosted by Université d'Évry Paris-Saclay, and is scheduled to take place on 19-21 June, 2023.
We welcome proposals that examine the theoretical and practical implications of Francophone audiovisual media. ‘Media’ here covers both classic audiovisual media (cinema, television – series, shows, advertisements, etc.) and new media (internet, streaming, video and audio platforms, social networks [Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, Facebook...]). We therefore encourage scholarship from a wide range of interdisciplinary approaches—musicology, film studies, ludomusicology, composition, etc.
Conference topics may include, but are not limited to:
1) Music, sound and genre in French fiction (film, television), for example:
- extreme French cinema (Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Maury, Claire Denis, Xavier Gens, Pascal Laugier...), fantasy and horror (Julia Ducourneau, Coralie Fargeat...)
- dramas and thrillers (Henri-Georges Clouzot, Henri Verneuil, René Clément, Xavier Legrand, Dominik Moll, Cédric Jimenez, Xavier Giannoli, Xavier Dolan...)
- musical films, musicals and comedies (Xavier Dolan, Jean-Marc Vallée, Christophe Honoré, Leos Carax, Alain Resnais, Michel Hazanavicius...)...
2) Music and sound in the French documentary film:
- direct cinema or "cinéma vérité" (Jean Rouch, Chris Marker, Louis Malle, Peter Wintonick, Michel Brault, Pierre Perrault...)
- experimental documentaries and audiovisual essays (François Bel and Gérard Vienne, Frédéric Dallaire...)
- animal documentaries (Claude Nuridsany, Marie Pérennou, Jacques Perrin, Jacques Cluzaud, Michel Debats...)
- intimate documentaries (Agnès Varda, Chantal Akerman...)
- committed social cinema (Denys Arcand, Raymond Depardon, Alice Diop, Nicolas Philibert, Sébastien Lifshitz, Thierry Michel, Dieudo Hamadi, Hassen Ferhani, Gilles Perret, Jean-Gabriel Périot...)...
3) New Audiovisual Waves (Belgium, France and Overseas, Quebec, Maghreb countries, WestAfrica, Gulf of Guinea, South Africa...)
4) Approach and dissemination of music and sound in new French-language media
5) Sound and adaptation in foreign languages (questions of translation, dubbing and subtitling)
Invited keynote speakers are Dominique Nasta (Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium) and James Deaville (Carleton University, Canada).
Deadline for proposals: 31 January, 2023.
Each speaker will have 20 minutes for the paper (in French or English) plus 10 minutes for discussion.
Please include as PDF or Word file: an abstract of no more than 250 words, a biographical note of no more than 150 words, contact details including academic affiliation, if applicable. Proposals should be for papers that have not been previously presented or published. Please send proposals to: chloe.huvet(at)univ-evry(dot)fr.
The Program Committee includes Chloé Huvet and Grégoire Tosser (Université d'Évry Paris- Saclay), Jérémy Michot (Université de Perpignan Via Domitia) and Emile Wennekes (Utrecht University; Chair MaM).